Tuesday, July 9, 2013

5 year old chapter books

Here is some catch up on the chapter books I have been reading Parker.
The Trumpet of the Swan
By E.B White

Sam Beaver is a curious kid that loves nature.  While camping with his dad in Canada, Sam finds a family of Trumpet swans.  One of the cygnets, Lewis, has no voice.  Sam befriends the family and Sam and Lewis become life long friends.  Lewis eventually gets a trumpet (as in the brass instrument) and travels the US and Canada playing beautiful music.  My mom read this book to my and my siblings when we were young and I remembered loving it then.  Here is what I love about this book now: Sam Beaver writes in his journal every day.  As I read the book out loud, I exchanged Sam's name for Parker (who is also a curious kid that loves nature).  Parker was so thrilled to be reading a book about a boy named Parker that he now writes in his journal most nights before bed!




The Kid Next Door and Other Headaches 
By Janice Lee Smith

Adam Joshua is your typical boy.  He is a collector of all junk, he loves his family, his dog, Superman and his tree house.  His best friend and neighbor is Nelson.  He hates junk, messes, dogs and thinks that Superman is for kids.  When I was in the 2nd grade, I went to a Young Author's Conference and was given a signed copy of this book!  It remained a favorite of mine throughout the years and this month, I read it to my little guy!  Fun!  I don't know that it was his favorite but he did enjoy it as did I!

No comments:

Post a Comment