Monday, March 4, 2013

Haunted by humans

The Book Thief

The Book Thief is a story about Leisel Meminger.  Death, the narrator, becomes aware of her when she is nine years old.  She was on the train to her new foster family's house in Molching, Germany during the Nazi reign, when her younger brother dies.  While he is being buried, the grave digger drops his handbook and Leisel steals her first book.  Death takes note of her.  The last line of the book is "I am haunted by humans."  Leisel is one of these that haunts him.  Leisel is a special little girl that is trying to survive the horror that she has to live through.  She begins stealing books before she could even read the words, knowing they would lend light to her dismal path.  As she learns to read, she clings to the precious few books she has to escape.  I find myself guilty of the same thing, though I do not steal the books.  How often have I turned to an old leather bound friend to briefly turn away from the troubles before me, emerging refreshed and able to tackle the obstacles.  Leisel focuses on the time spent with Papa and her books and makes it through the rest.
There are other really touching characters in the book as well. I quickly learn to love Mama, even while she is screaming and throwing things. There is a soft spot in my heart for Papa and his gentleness toward a struggling girl.  And then there is Rudy Steiner.  Death says "He does something to me, that boy.  Every time.  It is his only detriment.  He steps on my heart.  He makes me cry."  I can identify with that sentiment.  Every little girl needs a best friend like Rudy.  He took care of Leisel to his own harm in school and out of it.  He stood up for what he believed in.  He stood against teacher, leaders of Hitler Youth and Nazi's.  He gave bread to the Jewish people walking to Dachau and was beaten for it.  I laughed at Rudy's ridiculous adventures and cried with his suffering.  Mostly, I thought we all need someone in our lives that has as much substance as this kid does.  He stands out, he is remembered.  He steps on your heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment