Thursday, February 14, 2013

Circus of Dreams

Night Circus By Erin Morgenstern
“The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not.” I'm not actually sure how I feel about this book.  I wasn't going to review it because of that but here I am.  I like it.  I think I do anyway.  Two old "magicians" have an ongoing challenge.  They select two contestants and they compete until the other can't anymore.  These particular contestants are Marco and Celia.  The venue is Les Cirque des Reves.  They create spectacular illusions within the circus attempting to best the other one.  The first half of the book is extremely mysterious.  Things begin to clear up later in the book but there seems to be some ends that do not get tied up.  WHO or WHAT is Alexander?  Who has this weird talent and where do they get it?  Never really a clear answer.  I love Poppet and Widget and their significant to the circus.  I like Kiko and Chandresh as they develop the mystery of the show.  I even like Marco as harsh and devoid of fun as he seems.  I don't really like Celia, however.  She comes off as kind of a flat character.  I wasn't totally unable to connect with her, I just wanted more from her.  It is a great story, great ideas.  I would like to be in or attend such an event!  The plot was not very driven, so it wasn't a terribly exiting book.  Interesting and magical are two words I would use to describe it and that is enough for me to recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment