Wednesday, March 6, 2013

99 Zillion 9 Trillion and 3

Dr Seuss's Sleep Book and My Many Colored Days (also by Dr Seuss)
Last night I was too tired to play games, so Doodle, Lula and I put our pj's on and chose a big stack of books to read.  We began and ended with two of the good Dr's books.  We are big fans of Seuss (with the exception of Oh Say Can you Say, I hate that book).  We have never read these two, so we were excited!  My Many Colored Days is a quick read about feelings.

We have a yellow day when we are happy and busy.  Brown when we are sleepy and quiet.  Red when we are feisty   Black when we are frustrated and angry.  It was cute and simple.  I think I will use it with Lula.  She is a typical three year old that doesn't really know how to communicate how she feels.  We will probably read it a few more times in the next couple of days so she understands what color goes with which emotion. I found some cute templates to print and do with her.  I might post pictures if I get around to it!!

 Then on to the Sleep Book.
I have mixed feelings.  While not my favorite story, it may be my new favorite book.  I'll tell you why.  The story is all over the place.  Much like One Fish Two Fish but more chaotic.  Every page is a new creature.  The creatures are not as memorable though.  Most of us can remember that the Yink drinks pink ink and we box in yellow Gox box socks or any other of the numerous whimsical creatures that those two little kids seem to have bonded into slavery.  The sleepers in this book though, couldn't tell you a single one.  Not very memorable.  BUT, I love it.  Why?  The book keeps track of all the things that are sleeping.  The end tally is 99 zillion 9 trillion and 3.  After we finished the book, Doodle looked at me and said "if I go to sleep right now, can I be the 99 zillion 9 trillion and 4th person to go to sleep?"  I immediately respond with an enthusiastic, "YES, if you hurry!!!"  Both kids ran upstairs and jumped in bed.  After tucking them in, they went RIGHT TO SLEEP.  If you know us, you know this is an anomaly in my house.  I will read this book every night if I have to!

P.S.  Our reading selection was inspired by my cousin Amy, she always does the cutest things during Dr Seuss's birthday week!!

No comments:

Post a Comment