Thursday, January 17, 2013

Fum, Fie, Foe, Fee

Monsters Don't Eat Broccoli by Barbara Jean Hicks

Kids having trouble eating vegetables?  Do they carry on endlessly at the dinner table about the "yucky" broccoli?  Do they gag and run while you are steaming the cruciferous deliciousness?  If any of the above are true, YOU NEED THIS BOOK!  The monsters chant repeatedly "fum, fie, foe, fee, monsters don't eat broccoli" while chowing down trees.  Then, if you didn't notice the foreshadowing, someone points out at the end of the book they are in fact, eating broccoli.  The first time we read this, I read it to my little monsters while they were eating chicken and avoiding large piles of veggies on their plates.  By the end of the book, I had them convinced they were horrible, ravenous monsters and they started chanting fum, fie, foe fee while devouring the vegetables!  I tote it out ever few month to re-enforce.  It occurred to me that maybe the chanting was similar to hypnosis but that is totally ok with me.  It works.  Try it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment